Tuesday, November 24, 2009

President Obama Has His Work Cut Out For Him

As I was writing this editorial, I started writing about Immigration Reform and was really getting into the point of view of the “poor illegal immigrant” who, if we are honest with ourselves, gets the short end of the stick, on a pure humanistic point of view. Of course they shouldn’t come into the country illegally, but does the U.S. on purposely make it harder for Hispanics to be able to come to America legally? That was one question I had. Another was does America benefit from having so many illegal immigrants here? One site stated that illegal immigrants social security contributions is in the billions and will continue to grow, because they have no legal rights to this money. Then I started reading about the cost associated with having illegal immigrants in the country and I thought this is too much information for me to process in such a short time.

I dropped that topic and decided to write about something I’m passionate about, which is tougher laws on sex offenders especially crimes against children. I’ve raved many times to my husband how I feel that crimes against children need tougher punishments. I believe anyone that rapes a child should be put to death, because they are worthless human beings and should not be allowed to exist. Then I thought, molesters should be put to death too. I started thinking, what will be the “beyond a reasonable doubt” that would determine if they get put to death. Would there have to be DNA evidence? Well as you can imagine, I started getting very frustrated, because I’m not a lawyer. I’m a mother and I love my children and I believe all children are God’s gift and should be safe in this world. So, I gave up on this pursuit and moved on to the next subject.

Education is another of my passions. I believe that we need to do something in this country to enable all Americans to be able to afford a college education. We need to insure that all children are getting the best education that America can give and if we need to improve our standards, then we need to get moving. America is falling behind countries like India and China. If we want to remain the best nation in the world, then we need to get off our rears and make sure that our children are in the same league in math and science as other countries.

After going through just these three topics, I have to say that I realize that President Obama has his work cut out for him. That he will need to surround himself with experts and passionate intelligent people to be able to accomplish anything in his term in office. That we as American need to be more informed in all aspects of whatever subject we are passionate about to be able to make a difference in the laws and the changes needed to keep America the greatest nation in the world.

by Genoveva Nannapaneni

No comments: